Font organization

Will McCutchen mccutchen at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 7 22:44:11 GMT 2004

Hello, all.  First off, let me say, thanks for making GNOME 2.6 such a
pleasure to use on FreeBSD.

I have a question:  Is there any way to clean up the mess of fonts
installed with XFree86 4.3?

I would really like to be able to only use TrueType or OpenType fonts on
my computer.  I don't use Type1 fonts, and I don't use bitmapped fonts,
if I can avoid it.  Since XFree86 and GNOME both support TrueType and
OpenType fonts, it seems like I should be able to eliminate all of
those hundreds of (seemingly) random font files strewn about in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts.

I wish that I could just fill /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts with my .ttf and
.otf files, and have those be the only fonts on my system.

I understand that there may be some of those "other" fonts that I need
to keep on my system (maybe just to satisfy X on startup), but I'd
really like to clean some of them up.

I hope this message made some sense.  Thanks for any help you can give.

-Will McCutchen
 mccutchen at mail.utexas.edu