Problem with the GdkXft gnome control center applet / Antialiasing [scanned]

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Fri Apr 18 12:11:37 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 15:01, snooze wrote:
> Hello there people, i'm writing this mail due to a gnomecc related
> problem. I have installed the artwiz-fonts from the ports collection,
> but i still can not choose this font anywhere, except in an xterm. gtk1
> and gtk2 do not recognize it. Perhaps anyone knows how to solve that.

You need to add:

FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/artwiz-fonts/"

To your XF86Config file, then restart X.  You should also run fc-cache
-f /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/artwiz-fonts to make this font recognizable
to GTK+-2 apps.

> also found that the gkrellm-gnome port is missing for gkrellm1.

Contact the gkrellm1 maintainer.

>  The
> artwiz font works fine with fluxbox when i put the font called "snap" in
> a style file.
>

> Something about Mozilla:
> I get something like the following sometimes:
> LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
> /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so [Cannot
> open "/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so"]

This was explained by the pkg-message that was cat'd to your screen when
you installed Mozilla.  If you don't have The JDK port installed, you
will see this error.  It is non fatal, and you can ignore it.

> That's it for now, the gdkxft capplet of gnomecc (i do not mean
> gnome-control-center as of gnome2) does not load when i want to load it
> from there, so i only can use normal fonts, but why bother.

gdkxft is not supported by gnome@, and it is recommended you do not use
it.  Upgrade to GNOME 2 instead.

Joe