Add new application icon to Gnome-2 Applications Menu

Mezz bsdforums.org reigncracks at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 18 12:04:05 PDT 2003

>Hello,
>       I have linux-opera installed on a couple of boxes, and I'd like to
>add the Opera Icon to the menu so that I don't have to keep running
>"opera &" all the time to launch the application.
>
>This is fairly straight-forward in Gnome-1.4, but I can't seem to work
>out how this is supposed to be done in Gnome-2..,
>
>Could someone point out a "How-to" or link to where I might find out how
>to do this, please?

There have the faq about how to edit the menu: http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/

The maintainer of linux-opera has removed the Opera's icon option by use
patch, but I can show you the 'short' how-to at bottom. linux-opera7 has
been added in the ports and the maintainer is me. The icons will appearing
in KDE, Gnome and other WM by automatic. ;-)

Here's 'short' how-to

% cd /usr/ports/www/linux-opera ; make extract
% cd work/op*/images/
% cp opera.xpm /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/pixmaps/

Now, create the opera.desktop that will appearing in the Internet menu.

% cat /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/apps/Internet/opera.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Opera
Comment=Web Browser
Exec=opera
Icon=opera.xpm
Terminal=0
Type=Application

I think, it's all. Also, there have 16x16 to 48x48 png image in the
work/op*/images/ and you can use it.