Add new application icon to Gnome-2 Applications Menu

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Fri Apr 18 13:39:00 PDT 2003

Hello,
     Thanks for the reply.

On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 20:04, Mezz bsdforums.org wrote:
> >Hello,
> >       I have linux-opera installed on a couple of boxes, and I'd like to
> >add the Opera Icon to the menu so that I don't have to keep running
> >"opera &" all the time to launch the application.
> >
> >This is fairly straight-forward in Gnome-1.4, but I can't seem to work
> >out how this is supposed to be done in Gnome-2..,
> >
> >Could someone point out a "How-to" or link to where I might find out how
> >to do this, please?
>
> There have the faq about how to edit the menu: http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/

Saw that.., but couldn't believe that this is really the way to do this,
given the simple method involved for Gnome-1.

> The maintainer of linux-opera has removed the Opera's icon option by use
> patch, but I can show you the 'short' how-to at bottom. linux-opera7 has
> been added in the ports and the maintainer is me. The icons will appearing
> in KDE, Gnome and other WM by automatic. ;-)
>
> Here's 'short' how-to
>
> % cd /usr/ports/www/linux-opera ; make extract
> % cd work/op*/images/
> % cp opera.xpm /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/pixmaps/
>
> Now, create the opera.desktop that will appearing in the Internet menu.
>
> % cat /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/apps/Internet/opera.desktop
> [Desktop Entry]
> Name=Opera
> Comment=Web Browser
> Exec=opera
> Icon=opera.xpm
> Terminal=0
> Type=Application
>
> I think, it's all. Also, there have 16x16 to 48x48 png image in the
> work/op*/images/ and you can use it.

Thanks for that.., Tell me though.., I've already got linux-opera-6.12
installed here. What is the best (read cleanest) way to remove this
version and install linux-opera-7?

I'm asking because I had some issues with uninstalling one version of an
app and reinstalling a later version in the past.., Particularly where
it comes to shared dependencies (operamotif) et al.

Can I take it for granted that where you mentioned on freebsdforums
(http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=9b43787a1839c584946536fd1f20f2f3&threadid=8714) that the plugins "just worked" for you.., this was indeed referring to Macromedia Flash (which version, by the way?) and Acrobat Reader?

Thanks again for taking the time.

Regards,

Stacey