ZFS in production enviroments

Ronald Klop ronald-freebsd8 at klop.yi.org
Thu Apr 4 08:10:23 UTC 2013

On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 08:01:37 +0200, Sami Halabi <sodynet1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I've registered the last year to the list in order to get more involved
> in
> ZFS filesystem.
> I must admit i didn't install it yet in any prod machine, rather than in
> VM for testing that I installed lately.
>
> I see a lots of bugs/patches/stability issues regarding ZFS, what makes
> me
> think:
> 1. is it really ready for production enviroments?

Mailinglists have the habit of collecting negative stories because people
with positive stories don't have a reason to mail about it. So it is
natural that you see a lot of bugs/patches/stability issues on the list.
If you follow the Linux releases you will also see that every release
contains a lot of updates to the filesystems. Most patches are for edge
cases.

> 2. Is there anyone that installed it in prod and can give some feedback
> about stability, config?

Yes, at previous job a backup server with 96 disks running rsync from a
lot of servers. Runs nice.
Advice: Use amd64. Install a lot of memory. Furter tuning depends on what
you want to do with it.

> 3. from all the mails about reccomendations I've seen, is someone in
> fbsd-team taking the reccomendations and putting them somewhere in a
> one-document that describes all the suggestions rather than mailing
> lists?

I don't know. There might be something on wiki.freebsd.org.

> Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Ronald.