ZFS in production enviroments

Johan Hendriks joh.hendriks at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 12:36:04 UTC 2013

Sami Halabi schreef:
> Hi,
> I've registered the last year to the list in order to get more involved in
> ZFS filesystem.
> I must admit i didn't install it yet in any prod machine, rather than in a
> VM for testing that I installed lately.
>
> I see a lots of bugs/patches/stability issues regarding ZFS, what makes me
> think:
> 1. is it really ready for production enviroments?
I see a lot of bugfixes for my Microsoft Windows servers too, is it
ready for production?

> 2. Is there anyone that installed it in prod and can give some feedback
> about stability, config?
We use a 24 bay supermicro server with FreeBSD 9.0 and 8 300 GB sas
drives as our NAS and ESXi backend.
We have had zero problems with it till now and it runs for more than a
year now.
So for us it works very well.
The ESXi clients connect to the server through NFS
The windows client store there profiles and home dirs on the server with
samba
We have two ESXi hypervisors each running 5 servers and a couple of
workstations.

> 3. from all the mails about reccomendations I've seen, is someone in
> fbsd-team taking the reccomendations and putting them somewhere in a
> one-document that describes all the suggestions rather than mailing lists?
We do not use any tuning beside one loader.conf setting where we set a
max to the arc to about 3/4 of the available memory.
The box has 16 GB of ram
So for this machine we use the following.
vfs.zfs.arc_max="12G"

> Thanks in advance,
Your welcome