ZFS in production enviroments

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Thu Apr 4 08:00:26 UTC 2013

Am Thu, 4 Apr 2013 09:01:37 +0300
schrieb Sami Halabi <sodynet1 at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
> I've registered the last year to the list in order to get more
> involved in ZFS filesystem.
> I must admit i didn't install it yet in any prod machine, rather than
> in a VM for testing that I installed lately.
>
> I see a lots of bugs/patches/stability issues regarding ZFS, what
> makes me think:
> 1. is it really ready for production enviroments?

It depends on the environment, I'm afraid.
We don't have any problems with it anymore since 8.3

> 2. Is there anyone that installed it in prod and can give some
> feedback about stability, config?

Again, it depends on the use-case.
We do some hosting of web-pages with it (a couple of hundred
home-directories with a couple of hundred GB of data all together.
Some (Much?) also depends on the hardware used.

> 3. from all the mails about reccomendations I've seen, is someone in
> fbsd-team taking the reccomendations and putting them somewhere in a
> one-document that describes all the suggestions rather than mailing
> lists?

There is
https://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSTuningGuide

From time to time, the list gets postings like yours, with people
nodding and agreeing that someone should write it all up....

It pays to trawl the archives of this list.

From what I have read on this list, there is no speed advantage with
ZFS over UFS. Just much more flexibility and features (zero-copy
snapshots, de-duplication, etc.pp.)

What's you intended usage-scenario?