[OpenAFS-devel] Re: AFS ... or equivalent ...

Rune u+openafsdev-sr55 at chalmers.se
Thu Jan 17 23:34:17 PST 2008

Hi Robert,

thanks for your reply.

Since my posting I have been in contact with Jan and according to him
all the needed patches were indeed accepted for -current.
The data on the Coda wiki is apparently unfair/obsoleted. My apologies.

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 08:11:35AM +0000, Robert Watson wrote:

> Jan Harkes submitted a number of bug fixes for the FreeBSD Coda component
> to us in the past six months, which I've committed to CVS.  It may be that
> more fixes are required to make Coda stable and supportable.  I've added

As said, it should be all right. I am going to test, have set up
a machine with 7.0rc1.

> you say, gradual evoution in VFS. Part of the problem was that once Coda
> stops working, getting it working again requires more knowledge of Coda
> than most FreeBSD developers have, and for some period (perhaps still),

I see.

> Coda worked poorly from behind a NAT, a common property of many development
> environments.

Unfortunately this is still the case, especially for writing.

One reading and writing client behind a reasonable NAT implementation is fine.
Several "readonly" ones behind the same NAT are usable.
More than the above is unfortunately not yet ready for production use.

There is work under way to eliminate the underlying problem, but not
near enough to hold one's breath.

Best regards,
Rune