[OpenAFS-devel] Re: AFS ... or equivalent ...

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 18 02:39:29 PST 2008

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, Rune wrote:

>> Coda worked poorly from behind a NAT, a common property of many development
>> environments.
>
> Unfortunately this is still the case, especially for writing.
>
> One reading and writing client behind a reasonable NAT implementation is
> fine. Several "readonly" ones behind the same NAT are usable. More than the
> above is unfortunately not yet ready for production use.
>
> There is work under way to eliminate the underlying problem, but not near
> enough to hold one's breath.

Is this because the callback connection sends UDP from the server to the
client before the client sends to the server on the same port, meaning it
can't get through?  If so, presumably we could just teach the client to send a
bit of no-op UDP to the server first -- this would limit you to one client per
NAT, but that's better than no clients per NAT.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge