[OpenAFS-devel] Re: AFS ... or equivalent ...

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 17 00:11:35 PST 2008

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Rune wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, Jason C. Wells wrote:
>>> Sorry for the spam and cross posts. It seems like the interest in OpenAFS
>>> on FreeBSD is building.  I hope that this message will put the right
>>> people in touch with each other and that maybe a concerted effort to port
>>> OpenAFS to FreeBSD will arise.
>
> I want to hopefully make right people aware that there is an interest in
> Coda on FreeBSD.
>
> Wonder who has the influence to make Coda a "first-class citizen" of
> FreeBSD?

Jan Harkes submitted a number of bug fixes for the FreeBSD Coda component to
us in the past six months, which I've committed to CVS.  It may be that more
fixes are required to make Coda stable and supportable.  I've added Jan to the
CC, perhaps he can opine on what further work is required, and if I missed any
further patches he sent.  As with Arla, most of the logic for Coda is in
userspace, so keeping Coda generaly working is generally low-overhead--as long
as there are people running it against the CVS HEAD, where most of the VFS
work takes place.  Certainly as long as someone is doing the work to keep it
running over time, we're happy to get the patches in the tree, and the changes
he sent were relatively small to address, as you say, gradual evoution in VFS.
Part of the problem was that once Coda stops working, getting it working again
requires more knowledge of Coda than most FreeBSD developers have, and for
some period (perhaps still), Coda worked poorly from behind a NAT, a common
property of many development environments.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge