Extracting FFS from FreeBSD

Daniel Ellard ellard at eecs.harvard.edu
Mon Oct 18 03:48:23 PDT 2004

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

> I am working in a project which is in need of a stand-alone file system and
> I am interested in extracting FFS from BSD and modyfi it to a stand-alone
> module. I have some questions before I begin:

I also have some questions before you begin :-) They all follow from
your last question.

Do you really need FFS or will something simpler do the job?  What
functionality do you need to support?  (Has anyone done this before?)

My suspicion is that if all you need is a simple user-level file
system, then you can find something already written that will do most
or all of what you want -- unless you need something special.  If you
can't find anything, it's probably faster to write a simplistic file
system on your own than to dis-tangle FFS from the rest of the kernel.

-Dan