flash on 8.1?

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Mon Jul 19 19:05:54 UTC 2010

In article <4C44082A.4020604 at aldan.algebra.com> you write:
>Hello!
Hi!

>I was really hoping, the Linuxulator in 8.1 will be able to run
>flash-9... Unfortunately, my linux-firefox crashes as soon as it
>encounters any embedded flash out there :-(
>
>My users are rebelling -- any hope? Is it supposed to work? Thanks! Yours,

 Try www/linux-f10-flashplugin10 with www/nspluginwrapper and
native firefox, that seems to work okay here, and in the remaining
cases where flash does crash it only takes the npviewer.bin process
with it not the browser itself.  Be prepared to clean up leftover
npviewer.bin.core files and npviewer.bin processes once in a while
tho after closing a browser...

 Hm and I just tried www/linux-firefox-devel (3.5.10, again with
www/linux-f10-flashplugin10) on

	http://www.youtube.com/kutiman

and flash10 seems to work there too.

 But yes you are right when I tried www/linux-firefox (3.6.6) I got
a crah, this probably has something to do with firefox' new
out-of-process-plugin code that doesn't work as is in the linuxulator,
see this thread:

	 http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2010-March/016220.html

Seems you can disable the feature tho as mentioned here:

	http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin-container_and_out-of-process_plugins#Disabling_crash_protection

and indeed after setting dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.libflashplayer.so
to false in about:config youtube also worked in www/linux-firefox 3.6.6.

 HTH,
	Juergen