something wrong with Linux on 6.2-stable/amd64

Fri Jul 20 16:19:46 UTC 2007

Quoting Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde at aldan.algebra.com> (Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:13:12 -0400):

> On п'ятниця 20 липень 2007, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> = Do you have sound output? The mmap changes result in a problem with
> = some sound stuff.
>
> Yes, I do.
>
> = There's a new sysctl for this, but AFAIK there's no UPDATING entry (yet):
> = ---snip---
> = New sysctl: "hw.snd.compat_linux_mmap" to allow PROT_EXEC page
> = mapping, due to recent changes in linux compatibility layer which
> = require it. All linux applications that using sound + mmap() (mostly
> = games) require this to be enabled. Disabled by default.
> = ---snip---
>
> There must be very good reasons for breaking compatibility so...

Is improving compatibility for other use cases a reason which is good
enough?

> = This may or may not solve your problem. I don't remember changes to
> = linux_select, so this is the only thing I can up with to help you...
>
> No,  setting hw.snd.compat_linux_mmap did not change anything. Did I have to
> reboot or something for it to have effect?
>
> = If it doesn't work, you have to have a look at my linux changes in
> = stable (5 or 6 in total) and binary search between them for the
> = problematic one.
>
> Could you identify them for me, please?

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/compat/linux/?only_with_tag=RELENG_6#dirlist
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/i386/linux/?only_with_tag=RELENG_6#dirlist
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/amd64/linux32/?only_with_tag=RELENG_6#dirlist

MFC 1 is only style. MFC 2 and 4 may be a candidate. For MFC 2 I don't
see how it can affect this. MFC 5 is the mmap stuff + errno changes
(additional errno translations). MFC 4 handles also some more socket
options.

> P.S. Frankly, should not the burden of debugging be on you, actually?

You are the one with the problem at hand, and I'm the one with not
enough time ATM...

The pills to be taken with meals will be the least
appetizing ones.