something wrong with Linux on 6.2-stable/amd64

Mikhail Teterin mi+kde at aldan.algebra.com
Fri Jul 20 14:13:15 UTC 2007

On п'ятниця 20 липень 2007, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
= Do you have sound output? The mmap changes result in a problem with
= some sound stuff.

Yes, I do.

= There's a new sysctl for this, but AFAIK there's no UPDATING entry (yet):
= ---snip---
= New sysctl: "hw.snd.compat_linux_mmap" to allow PROT_EXEC page
= mapping, due to recent changes in linux compatibility layer which
= require it. All linux applications that using sound + mmap() (mostly
= games) require this to be enabled. Disabled by default.
= ---snip---

There must be very good reasons for breaking compatibility so...

= This may or may not solve your problem. I don't remember changes to
= linux_select, so this is the only thing I can up with to help you...

No,  setting hw.snd.compat_linux_mmap did not change anything. Did I have to
reboot or something for it to have effect?

= If it doesn't work, you have to have a look at my linux changes in
= stable (5 or 6 in total) and binary search between them for the
= problematic one.

Could you identify them for me, please?

	-mi

P.S. Frankly, should not the burden of debugging be on you, actually?