FreeBSD Handbook, error, Chapter 4, 4.5 Using the Ports Collection

jgh at FreeBSD.org jgh at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 4 18:10:37 UTC 2019

On 2019-10-04 07:20, Byron Campbell via freebsd-doc wrote:
> On 2019-10-04 10:02, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>> Byron Campbell via freebsd-doc <freebsd-doc at freebsd.org> writes:
>>
>>> Procedure 4.2. Subversion Method
>>>
>>> ?????? Check out a copy of the ports tree:
>>>
>>> ?????? # svn checkout https://svn.FreeBSD.org/ports/head /usr/ports
>>>
>>> To work the URL must be changed; drop the 'https' and use 'svn'
>>> instead. The correct command is thus:
>>>
>>> ?????? # svn checkout svn://svn.FreeBSD.org/ports/head /usr/ports
>> Why do you think https doesn't work? I would expect it to work at
>> least
>> as reliably as svn.
>>
> When issuing the command:
>
>  # svn checkout https://svn.FreeBSD.org/ports/head /usr/ports
>
> returns the following:
>
> svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL
> 'https://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head'
>
> svn: E000065: Error running context: No route to host
>
> The only way to get it to work on my FreeBSD-12 machine is to correct
> the URL, as per my original message. Maybe give it a try and see how
> it works for you.

Are you able to do a checkout without having it checked out to
/usr/ports?

I tried this on a non-FreeBSD machine, and it worked as is.
I tried this on a FreeBSD machine, and it worked as is.

> svn checkout https://svn.FreeBSD.org/ports/head
A    head/graphics
A    head/graphics/viewnior
A    head/graphics/rapid-photo-downloader
A    head/graphics/rapid-photo-downloader/files
A    head/graphics/libbpg
A    head/graphics/libbpg/files
A    head/graphics/libheif
A    head/graphics/libheif/files
A    head/graphics/dcmtk
A    head/graphics/libcdr01
A    head/graphics/libfreehand
A    head/graphics/libfreehand/files
A    head/graphics/viewnior/Makefile

If you feel this is still an issue, please file a bug report.
https://www.freebsd.org/support/bugreports.html

-jgh