FreeBSD Handbook, error, Chapter 4, 4.5 Using the Ports Collection

Byron Campbell wa4geg at aim.com
Fri Oct 4 21:40:44 UTC 2019

On 2019-10-04 14:10, jgh at FreeBSD.org wrote:
> On 2019-10-04 07:20, Byron Campbell via freebsd-doc wrote:

>>> Why do you think https doesn't work? I would expect it to work at least
>>> as reliably as svn.
>>>
>> When issuing the command:
>>
>> ??# svn checkout https://svn.FreeBSD.org/ports/head /usr/ports
>>
>> returns the following:
>>
>> svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL
>> 'https://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head'
>>
>> svn: E000065: Error running context: No route to host
>>
>> The only way to get it to work on my FreeBSD-12 machine is to correct
>> the URL, as per my original message. Maybe give it a try and see how
>> it works for you.
>
> Are you able to do a checkout without having it checked out to
> /usr/ports?
>
> I tried this on a non-FreeBSD machine, and it worked as is.
> I tried this on a FreeBSD machine, and it worked as is.
>

>> svn checkout https://svn.FreeBSD.org/ports/head
> A?????? head/graphics
> A?????? head/graphics/viewnior
> A?????? head/graphics/rapid-photo-downloader
> A?????? head/graphics/rapid-photo-downloader/files
> A?????? head/graphics/libbpg
> A?????? head/graphics/libbpg/files
> A?????? head/graphics/libheif
> A?????? head/graphics/libheif/files
> A?????? head/graphics/dcmtk
> A?????? head/graphics/libcdr01
> A?????? head/graphics/libfreehand
> A?????? head/graphics/libfreehand/files
> A?????? head/graphics/viewnior/Makefile
> ..
> ..
> ..
>
> If you feel this is still an issue, please file a bug report.
> https://www.freebsd.org/support/bugreports.html
>
> -jgh

Okay, more investigative testing, I've confirmed that 'svn checkout??
https://svn.FreeBSD.org/ports/head' is working on my FreeBSD 11.2 box,
but not on my?? FreeBSD 12.1-PRERELEASE box, aka Project-Trident that
shipped with Subversion. On the Trident box I must use: 'svn checkout
svn://svn.FreeBSD.org/ports/head'

Project Trident appears to be doing something a little different. Pse
excuse the 'operator malfunction' folks.