FreeBSD Handbook, error, Chapter 4, 4.5 Using the Ports Collection

Byron Campbell wa4geg at aim.com
Fri Oct 4 14:20:22 UTC 2019

On 2019-10-04 10:02, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Byron Campbell via freebsd-doc <freebsd-doc at freebsd.org> writes:
>
>> Procedure 4.2. Subversion Method
>>
>> ?????? Check out a copy of the ports tree:
>>
>> ?????? # svn checkout https://svn.FreeBSD.org/ports/head /usr/ports
>>
>> To work the URL must be changed; drop the 'https' and use 'svn'
>> instead. The correct command is thus:
>>
>> ?????? # svn checkout svn://svn.FreeBSD.org/ports/head /usr/ports
> Why do you think https doesn't work? I would expect it to work at least
> as reliably as svn.

When issuing the command:

  # svn checkout https://svn.FreeBSD.org/ports/head /usr/ports

returns the following:

svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL
'https://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head'

svn: E000065: Error running context: No route to host

The only way to get it to work on my FreeBSD-12 machine is to correct
the URL, as per my original message. Maybe give it a try and see how it
works for you.