The Italian translation has not been updated since 2008

Danilo G. Baio dbaio at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 9 10:20:23 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 09, 2018 at 09:55:28AM +0200, Benedict Reuschling wrote:

> Am 09.08.18 um 09:43 schrieb Alex Dupre:
> > Guido Falsi wrote:
> >> Being Italian and being a committer I could try to help in this regard.
> >> Being just one person I'd make slow progress, but it's better than no
> >> progress at all!
> >
> > The translation project was done by the GUFI and lead by me in the past,
> > but it's really a huge work and the enthusiasm and time lowered to zero
> > in the last years. I don't think that a single person can do much, but
> > you are welcome.
> >
> >> What requirements are there to help updating translations? Is there a
> >> translator's guide?
> >
> > https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/index.html
> >

> And more specificially, the PO translation chapter:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/po-translations.html
>
> It would be great to see Italian translations coming back. Let us know
> if you need help.

Yes, we need help. Speaking for pt_BR and possibly other languages.

A single review of a .po file is stuck [1].

And we have PR's stuck for years with translations, this discourages any new
contributor.

What we are trying to do is to work with po files through Zanata, like pfSense
did.

This is just a test for who is interested:
https://translate.zanata.org/iteration/view/FreeBSD-pt_BR/test/documents?dswid=7254

There are people willing to help in the translation and this way they won't
need to deal with svn or to install any tool.

We just need to close a process about this and I'm having a good perspective
about Zanata.

We could even insert a stage in the translation process where FreeBSD members
need to check/approve the translations there. [2]

[1] - https://reviews.freebsd.org/D15796

[2] - http://docs.zanata.org/en/release/user-guide/review/overview/

--
Danilo G. Baio (dbaio)