HOWTO articles for migrating from Linux to FreeBSD, especially for pkg?

Allan Jude allanjude at freebsd.org
Fri Jul 18 13:34:58 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-17 17:23, Matthew Seaman wrote:

>> They sure are.
>>
>> Well, pkg install $service ; sysrc ${service}_enable="YES" would do.
>> Although some services have different names than the packge, which is sort
>> of annoying.
>>
>> I wouldn't mind though if pkg via dialog or some such mechanism asked if
>> wanted it enabled. Or via pkg-message told me howto enable it.
>
> I quite like the idea of having eg, an apache-config package, which when
> installed sets up httpd.conf in a way that allows adding
> phpMyAdmin-config or other similar application config packages on top.
> And enables everything in rc.conf, if not firing up apache on install[*].
>
> *But* this should be separate from packages that install the software so
> if you want to write your own configuration you don't have to go through
> and unpick the pre-canned setup.
>
> Sometimes you just need to sling something on a box and have it working
> ASAP.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew
>
> [*] Well, actually it go for nginx + php-fpm + webapp rather than
> apache, but the principle is the same.

The apache package created /usr/local/etc/apache22/Includes/

But I think the default httpd.conf has the line that includes it
commented out.

We could obviously do the same for nginx, create an includes directory etc.

Then we'd have to teach the package infrastructure to understand which
web server you are using, and each port would need a template for each
web server. And again, we'd not want it on by default, so we'd install
phpmyadmin.conf.sample, and the user would have to copy it to
phpmyadmin.conf to enable it. As long as we give them the cp command in
the pkg-message, this seems fairly easy for a beginner to do.

--
Allan Jude