HOWTO articles for migrating from Linux to FreeBSD, especially for pkg?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Jul 18 14:01:41 UTC 2014

On 07/18/14 14:35, Allan Jude wrote:
> We could obviously do the same for nginx, create an includes directory etc.
>
> Then we'd have to teach the package infrastructure to understand which
> web server you are using, and each port would need a template for each
> web server. And again, we'd not want it on by default, so we'd install
> phpmyadmin.conf.sample, and the user would have to copy it to
> phpmyadmin.conf to enable it. As long as we give them the cp command in
> the pkg-message, this seems fairly easy for a beginner to do.

Yes -- there's a significant amount of work to implement this.

You're not really getting the idea about these packages.  We don't want
to install sample files or make the users go through any more hoops with
these 'config' packages specifically.  The whole point is instant
gratification.  Unlike the Linux setups where this sort of
auto-enablement is standard, because we'd have standard packages --
exactly the same as the current apache or nginx packages -- which don't
enable anything by default, you still have control.  If you want the
software installed but not enabled, don't install the packages with the
pre-canned configuration stuff.

Hmmm.... although these packages would need enough smarts to distinguish
between an initial installation and an upgrade, and not change the
activation status of the package in the latter case.  (This is a problem
with pkg_tools, since it's idea of 'upgrade' is 'delete and reinstall',
but pkg(8) knows the difference.  September 1st cannot come soon enough.)

	Cheers,

	Matthew