HOWTO articles for migrating from Linux to FreeBSD, especially for pkg?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Jul 17 21:23:23 UTC 2014

On 17/07/2014 21:21, Andreas Nilsson wrote:

>> > Aren't sysrc(8) and service(8) for this kind of stuff?
>> >
> They sure are.
>
> Well, pkg install $service ; sysrc ${service}_enable="YES" would do.
> Although some services have different names than the packge, which is sort
> of annoying.
>
> I wouldn't mind though if pkg via dialog or some such mechanism asked if
> wanted it enabled. Or via pkg-message told me howto enable it.

I quite like the idea of having eg, an apache-config package, which when
installed sets up httpd.conf in a way that allows adding
phpMyAdmin-config or other similar application config packages on top.
And enables everything in rc.conf, if not firing up apache on install[*].

*But* this should be separate from packages that install the software so
if you want to write your own configuration you don't have to go through
and unpick the pre-canned setup.

Sometimes you just need to sling something on a box and have it working
ASAP.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Well, actually it go for nginx + php-fpm + webapp rather than
apache, but the principle is the same.

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.

JID: matthew at infracaninophile.co.uk