Wiki / ZFS Booting

Benedict Reuschling bcr at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 7 22:41:58 UTC 2013

Am 07.03.13 23:19, schrieb Glen Barber:
> Hi Cody,
>
> On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 02:07:04PM -0800, Cody Ritts wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have some suggestions for the wiki regarding root on zfs.
>>
>> In short, I think it would be EXTREMELY helpful to consolidate
>> all of the pages into two.
>>
>> 1.  Booting to ZFS 2.  Advanced ZFS partitioning
>>
>> The long story is that I have just spent several days documenting
>> my efforts to get multiple systems to boot from ZFS.  First,
>> thank you to all who have contributed to the wiki, I would not
>> have been able to get it done without you.
>>
>> That being said these are 11 pages I have found on the wiki:
>>
>> /RootOnZFS, /RootOnZFS/UFSBoot, /RootOnZFS/ZFSBootPartition,
>> /RootOnZFS/ZFSBootSlice, /RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot,
>> /RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/Mirror, /RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/RAIDZ1,
>> /RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/RAIDZ2, /RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE,
>>  /ZFSOnRoot, /ZFSOnRootWithZFSboot
>>

> Yes, this is a bit excessive... :(

I agree. We should try to reduce the number of ZFS install howtos and
instead put our efforts into bringing it into the handbook. Maybe some
of these howtos are better serves as articles showing alternative ways
of doing these. I know that filesystem layout can be a very personal
thing for many users who want to lay out things their way and none
other. But we could give new users guiding principles on how to do the
basic setup and then help them make the right decisions for their
environment based on the experience gathered from these wiki pages.

>> I don't want to just complain that it should be better, I would
>> like to share the internal documentation that I put together from
>> all of the web pages, man pages, and server testing.
>>

> Appreciated. :-)

Yes, I had a quick glance at it and I especially liked the first part
using SSH from the beginning.

>> I am not 100% certain I am doing everything the "right" way, but
>> I am 100% CERTAIN that I have COPY/PASTED each and every one of
>> these commands into a FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE LiveCD shell and then
>> successfully booted.
>>

> I did not look in-depth at your attached input, but here is a good
> reference for what Pawel considers the "right way" to do it (for
> various degrees).
>
> http://blogs.freebsdish.org/pjd/2010/08/06/from-sysinstall-to-zfs-only-configuration/

Yeah, tuning the system for ZFS usage (like reserving enough memory
for ARC and such) could also be part of such an article or handbook
chapter.

Regards

Benedict Reuschling