Wiki / ZFS Booting

Cody Ritts cr at caltel.com
Fri Mar 8 00:40:03 UTC 2013

> I agree. We should try to reduce the number of ZFS install howtos and
> instead put our efforts into bringing it into the handbook. Maybe some
> of these howtos are better serves as articles showing alternative ways
> of doing these. I know that filesystem layout can be a very personal
> thing for many users who want to lay out things their way and none
> other. But we could give new users guiding principles on how to do the
> basic setup and then help them make the right decisions for their
> environment based on the experience gathered from these wiki pages.

I don't think you could have summed up what I hoped could happen any better!

I do hope that you will also consider keeping the MBR boot code in
there.  That was I think the most difficult piece of the puzzle.
Everything is GPT centric, but I just got a brand new little intel atom
device that will not boot off of the default GPT install.

> Yes, I had a quick glance at it and I especially liked the first part
> using SSH from the beginning.

Thank you.  If it was not for ssh and virtual machine snapshots, I think
I would have abandoned ZFS until it made it into the handbook or installer.

Thanks,

Cody