Wiki / ZFS Booting

Glen Barber gjb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 7 22:19:40 UTC 2013

Hi Cody,

On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 02:07:04PM -0800, Cody Ritts wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have some suggestions for the wiki regarding root on zfs.
>
> In short, I think it would be EXTREMELY helpful to consolidate all of
> the pages into two.
>
> 1.  Booting to ZFS
> 2.  Advanced ZFS partitioning
>
> The long story is that I have just spent several days documenting my
> efforts to get multiple systems to boot from ZFS.  First, thank you to
> all who have contributed to the wiki, I would not have been able to get
> it done without you.
>
> That being said these are 11 pages I have found on the wiki:
>
> /RootOnZFS, /RootOnZFS/UFSBoot, /RootOnZFS/ZFSBootPartition,
> /RootOnZFS/ZFSBootSlice, /RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot,
> /RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/Mirror, /RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/RAIDZ1,
> /RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/RAIDZ2, /RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE,
> /ZFSOnRoot, /ZFSOnRootWithZFSboot

Yes, this is a bit excessive... :(

> I don't want to just complain that it should be better, I would like to
> share the internal documentation that I put together from all of the web
> pages, man pages, and server testing.

Appreciated. :-)

> I am not 100% certain I am doing everything the "right" way, but I am
> 100% CERTAIN that I have COPY/PASTED each and every one of these
> commands into a FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE LiveCD shell and then successfully
> booted.

I did not look in-depth at your attached input, but here is a good
reference for what Pawel considers the "right way" to do it (for various
degrees).

http://blogs.freebsdish.org/pjd/2010/08/06/from-sysinstall-to-zfs-only-configuration/

Hope this helps.

Glen