FAQ Updates

Lowell Gilbert lgusenet at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Oct 6 17:49:20 UTC 2005

linimon at lonesome.com  (Mark Linimon) writes:

> On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 09:50:47AM -0400, Jordan Sissel wrote:
> > The handbook would be an excellent place for such information! Great way
> > to consolidate most of the "how to use FreeBSD" information even better
> > into one location. Etc, etc. Preaching to the choir, eh?
>
> Yeah, really this has been discussed several times in the past and there
> are several people who want things to head in this direction, but each
> of them has other higher-priority items.  (read: I personally am way to
> overcommitted to do this ...)

I am occasionally tempted to write up a "top ten most frequently asked
questions on freebsd-questions" list.

> > Would the FAQ work like this, then?
>
> > Q: How do I do *foo*?
> > A: Check out *this* (with a happy link) entry in the handbook!
>
> Well, my own view (which may be a minority one) is that the FAQ should
> be more like:
>
> Q: What are (the goals|the development process|<xyz>) of the FreeBSD
>    Project?
> A: <answer from existing FAQ here>
>
> Q: How do I find out information about how *foo*?
> A: Check out *this* (with a happy link) entry in the handbook!
>
> And not have very many entries of the latter form.

I think the FAQ should literally be a collection of Frequently Asked
Questions and their answers.  One of the problems we have is that
there is no obvious place to put short answers to *in*frequently asked
questions.  Particularly "how do I" questions.