Removal of some mini-faqs in the Handbook.

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 16 17:31:58 UTC 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:14:55 +0200
Marc Fonvieille <blackend at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I noted that some "mini-faqs" have been removed.  I'm not against that
> idea, but sometimes the solution used to replace the FAQ just looks like
> an "ugly mess".  Where it was easy to find the information for the
> reader, we have now a big set of "paras" not easy to read.
>
> Maybe I'm totally "out" of what is a good layout, but maybe we should
> think twice before doing it on all mini-faqs (I'm thinking about
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mail-trouble.html
> for example, which will be, I guess, the next "axed one").

This was discussed a little bit ago, and is also listed as a handbook
task which I'm currently working on.  Recently there was a small
discussion about moving the FAQ into the handbook, near the end of
each chapter, and then add a way to extract these entries for the
FAQ.  This would give us a build_with_faq or build_without_faq type
of setup.

This is not definate though.

My reply on the following is:
> an "ugly mess".  Where it was easy to find the information for the
> reader, we have now a big set of "paras" not easy to read.

A few of my replacement "paras" were posted on the -doc list and did
bring a reply from Simon L. Nielson, Jim, and someone else who I
just cannot remember right now for some reason.  During the time I
was doing this, you never sent a reply to me.  If you think it is
an "ugly mess", then could you explain this opinion to me?  Perhaps
a patch, cut & paste it into an email then post your comments, anything.
I'll certainly look at it.  Thanks!

--
Tom Rhodes