Removal of some mini-faqs in the Handbook.

Marc Fonvieille blackend at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 16 23:17:52 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 01:21:14PM -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:

> This was discussed a little bit ago, and is also listed as a handbook
> task which I'm currently working on.  Recently there was a small
> discussion about moving the FAQ into the handbook, near the end of
> each chapter, and then add a way to extract these entries for the
> FAQ.  This would give us a build_with_faq or build_without_faq type
> of setup.
>
> This is not definate though.

No, I'm not talking about that.

> My reply on the following is:
> > an "ugly mess".  Where it was easy to find the information for the
> > reader, we have now a big set of "paras" not easy to read.
>
> A few of my replacement "paras" were posted on the -doc list and did
> bring a reply from Simon L. Nielson, Jim, and someone else who I
> just cannot remember right now for some reason.  During the time I
> was doing this, you never sent a reply to me.

I'm talking about Section "6.8.3.2 Troubleshooting" and I do not
remember any mail about it on -doc, but I can be wrong on that point.

> If you think it is
> an "ugly mess", then could you explain this opinion to me?  Perhaps
> a patch, cut & paste it into an email then post your comments, anything.
> I'll certainly look at it.  Thanks!

I know very well that section since I wrote it :)  I just noted the
removal of the mini-faq when I sent an user to the section 6.3 (I do
not read every commit mail).
The person complained about the Troubleshooting section layout.
If you really think the new layout is better than the previous one,
then that's Ok.  My opinion is not: "keep the old layout", I just
want something easy to read.
By the way, you should keep the info about performance issues with
autoselect mode on some NICs since this mode is not seen by users as
an "incorrect network settings".

For mail-trouble.html, I just hope it will be treated in a better way.

Marc