sysctls and if_bridge

Eygene Ryabinkin rea-fbsd at codelabs.ru
Thu Sep 25 04:12:13 UTC 2008

Michael, good day.

Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 09:12:04PM -0400, Michael Proto wrote:
> Manually setting the bridge0 MAC to something other than the wan did work.
> Rebuilt kernel with if_bridge.c rev 1.117 and the bridge0 MAC is now
> randomly-generated again, and works as well.

Glad to hear.

> Thanks for the help!

You're welcome ;))

> I also now see the net.link.bridge.inherit_mac sysctl as specified in the
> commit. Just curious, but would this be useful in situations where
> pfil_member is 1 and pfil_bridge is 0?

It depends on one's needs, as usual, but perhaps it won't be very useful
if you'll decide to filter on _all_ bridge members.  Having two interfaces
with the same MACs within the bridge poses some problems in the case of
a locally-destined packets, but sysctl net.link.bridge.pfil_local_phys
can help with those.

Filtering rules for packets that are traversing the bridge shouldn't
be harmed by MAC inheritance, unless I am missing something.
--
Eygene