sysctls and if_bridge

Michael Proto mike at jellydonut.org
Thu Sep 25 01:12:05 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Michael Proto <mike at jellydonut.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 11:41 AM, Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-fbsd at codelabs.ru>wrote:
>

>> Seems like you're facing the problem where bridge0 inherits its MAC from
>> the 'wan' interface.  Try to specify bridge0's MAC explicitely (via
>> ifconfig's 'link XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX' arguments); you can use some random
>> MAC, for example the one that is generated at the system's bootup for
>> bridge0 (example from one of my hosts):
>> -----
>> $ dmesg | grep bridge0 | grep Ethernet
>> bridge0: Ethernet address: 2e:13:01:19:11:66
>> -----
>> May be this will help you to work out your problems.
>>
>> If so, then you'll probably need sys/net/if_bridge.c revision 1.117,
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/sys/net/if_bridge.c?rev=1.117;content-type=text%2Fplain<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/src/sys/net/if_bridge.c?rev=1.117;content-type=text%2Fplain>
>>
>> If this won't help, I'll try to think a bit more about this issue ;))
>>

> Eygene,

Manually setting the bridge0 MAC to something other than the wan did work.
Rebuilt kernel with if_bridge.c rev 1.117 and the bridge0 MAC is now
randomly-generated again, and works as well. Thanks for the help!

I also now see the net.link.bridge.inherit_mac sysctl as specified in the
commit. Just curious, but would this be useful in situations where
pfil_member is 1 and pfil_bridge is 0?

Thanks again,
Proto