idea bouncing: using cvs as a replacement for mergemaster

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Wed Nov 28 15:27:51 PST 2007

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > It is a port - sysutils/etcmerge.
>
> Another simple solution, which needs more publicity, is 'mergemaster
> -U'. I do my updates using -Ui and seldom have to deal any manual
> merge. It's not perfect as I still need to deal with locally modified
> files, but "it's good enough".

The beauty of etcmerge is that only conflicting changes are a problem
and they are quite rare.

It does require a refence copy the first time you run it but that is
easily obtained by running mergemaster once, after that it updates it
automatically.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum