idea bouncing: using cvs as a replacement for mergemaster

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 28 15:57:04 PST 2007

On 2007.11.29 09:56:27 +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > It is a port - sysutils/etcmerge.
> >
> > Another simple solution, which needs more publicity, is 'mergemaster
> > -U'. I do my updates using -Ui and seldom have to deal any manual
> > merge. It's not perfect as I still need to deal with locally modified
> > files, but "it's good enough".
>
> The beauty of etcmerge is that only conflicting changes are a problem
> and they are quite rare.

That is (well, mostly) what mergemaster -iU does, and it's in the base
system :-).  I only tried etcmerge once, but considering the number of
heterogeneous systems I help manage or co-manage I found the setup to
be enough work that I never got past trying it out once.

I run mergemaster quite often, and I must say after the -U
functionality it's normally very quickly done.

Just my 0.00002DKK - Time to go back to my litle corner :-).

--
Simon L. Nielsen