ZFS does not load and mount at boot time

oschonef at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de oschonef at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Thu May 31 12:02:57 UTC 2007

Hello Gerrit,

Eines schoenen Tages schrieb Gerrit Kühn:
[..]
> I read the thread before and tried to circumvent problems arising from
> this by setting /boot rw for testing purposes. However, without any change
> in behaviour. But I'll take a look at this again anyway, thanks for the
> hint.

Just another note: I haven't had my coffee yet, when writing my replay to
you this morning.
If the ZFS module is loaded by the loader the symlinking trick will not
work. The module tries to load /boot/zfs/zpool.cache or expects zpool.cache
preloaded from the loader. However, I could not teach the loader to
load zpool.cache from the nanobsd configuration slice.
If the module is loaded by /etc/rc.d/zfs, the symlinking works, because the
module will try then try to load /boot/zfs/zpool.cache (which points to
/etc/zfs/zpool.cache) wich was initialized by rc.initdiskless.

Best regards,
Oliver