wireless

Craig Boston craig at xfoil.gank.org
Wed Jun 20 04:20:32 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 01:19:08PM +1200, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> Please report any other wireless issues and help is appreciated.

Hi, I was debating whether to report this since I haven't had a chance
to compile a debug kernel yet (this is on a somewhat embedded system
that boots off flash memory, so it's a bit of a pain), but since you
asked... :)

In short, ipw doesn't seem to work at all for me anymore.  It worked
okay in 6-stable with an occasional hiccup, but upon upgrading to
current it doesn't seem to be doing anything.  It doesn't even try to
scan; it just sits there on channel 1 with "no carrier".  "ifconfig list
scan" shows nothing.  Manually setting the SSID/channel doesn't do
anything either (it remains on channel 1).

Sometimes "ifconfig scan" does nothing, sometimes it results in a panic.

Since I haven't run a current prior to the 802.11 changes on this
particular machine, I don't know if it was working before them or not :(
Haven't had time to mess with it yet.

To take care of the obvious:

Yes, wlan_scan_sta is loaded.  I also built a kernel with the two scan
modules compiled in and no change.

I've loaded ipw_bss.ko and set legal.intel_ipw.license_ack="1" in
loader.conf.  Loading all 3 firmware modules doesn't seem to help.

It happens with the GENERIC kernel too (that's what I first noticed when
I booted a snapshot to do the install).

Craig