OvisLink Wireless

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Fri Sep 2 18:35:32 PDT 2005

On Saturday 03 September 2005 08:34, Jayton Garnett wrote:
> Could anyone tell me if there are plans to introduce the OvisLink
> Wireless network cards into FreeBSD?
> The one I have uses a Texas Instruments chipset.
> http://www.ovislinkcorp.co.uk/wl8000pci.htm
> I have done a search on 5.4R but this card is not supported, only two
> other OvisLink Cards are supported.
>
> If you require any technical information about the card I would be more
> than willing to dig up some info if it
> means the driver will make it into ANY future release of FreeBSD.

I don't believe Ti release enough information on their chipsets to allow
people to write drivers - certainly the only way I am aware of to use stuff
based on their chips is via ndis (which mostly works)

I recommend you dig up an Atheros based card since it will almost certainly be
supported now or in the very near future, and it supports a company that
supplies drivers for FreeBSD/Linux/etc not just Windows.

eg
http://www.aria.co.uk/wifi/product_info.asp?productid=14956
http://www.multitask-computing.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=275

> Also... would anyone know why my Linksys Router's wireless interface
> keeps going down? The
> cat5 cable interface still works fine, and I just have too reboot the
> router.

Broken firmware?

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum