UPDATING readability

Matthias Andree ma at dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de
Sun Oct 17 05:05:50 PDT 2004

Marc Ramirez <marc.ramirez at bluecirclesoft.com> writes:

> There are a lot of words between the nominal subject, 'one' and the nominal
> verb, 'has changed.'  All these interspersers must be pushed, and if you're
> not fluent, well, remember the 'five things in short-term memory'
> rule.

Fine so far, but...

> Maybe the best way to write it is in press release style:

...that is too long for skilled people. I like Geoff's
suggestion. Perhaps adding the reason in a second sentence would be
helpful for the technically aware readers, and the guys who do not want
to care about technical detail know what to do. (Plus it is still
press-style, important information first, less important in subsequent
paragraphs, where stripping off from the end of the documents still
leaves it comprehensible).

OK, in which shed is my bike? :)

--
Matthias Andree

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)