UPDATING readability

Marc Ramirez marc.ramirez at bluecirclesoft.com
Sat Oct 16 20:22:52 PDT 2004

On Saturday 16 October 2004 05:16 pm, David Syphers wrote:
> On Saturday 16 October 2004 01:25 pm, Marc Ramirez wrote:

> > Compromise: One of the syscalls _which_ the ...
>
> Okay... this would be grammatically correct. However, I'm curious why the
> original poster believes the current version to be unclear, since it is
> also grammatically correct. (Omitting "that" or "which" at the beginning of
> a restrictive relative clause is very common in English.)

There are a lot of words between the nominal subject, 'one' and the nominal
verb, 'has changed.'  All these interspersers must be pushed, and if you're
not fluent, well, remember the 'five things in short-term memory' rule.

Maybe the best way to write it is in press release style:

Oct 7, 2004

SYSCALL DROPPED, CAUSING LIBRARY BREAKAGE

FreeBSD staff

/USR/SRC/SYS/ - Today, libthr is picking through the pieces of the life it
once knew.  Libthr, the predominate 1:1 threading library for FreeBSD, found
today that a syscall it had depended on was dropped from the FreeBSD ABI.
According to the library, "unless the admin rebuilds me under the new ABI,
the kernel's only option will be to kill(2) the process, probably with a
SIGSYS."  The dropped syscall was only four years old.  For more information
on SIGSYS, visit /usr/include/sys/signal.h.

--
Marc Ramirez
Blue Circle Software Corporation