Installing 5.3-BETA7 without PS/2 keyboard

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu Oct 7 21:37:32 PDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 12:12:22AM -0400, Rajappa Iyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope someone can help me out here.  I have a machine with
> no PS/2 connectors... so I only have USB keyboard.  I have turned
> on the BIOS emulation of keyboard -- the boot loader seems to see
> it fine.  But once FreeBSD boots, then it is no longer able to
> see the keyboard.
>
> I tried disabling the atkbd and atkbdc, but it still finds and
> attaches kbd0 to atkbd and kbd1 to the USB keyboard.
>
> Any way out of this situation?

Sounds like your BIOS is too smart for it's own good.  It emulates
enough of the keyboard for atkbd to to probe, but then ukbd finds the
keyboard and breaks it.  Does the same thing happen if you disable
emulation?  (I suspect it does).  If so, you may need to install by
sticking the disk in something else and installing there.  One other
idea, if you can disable ukbd that may keep the keyboard from being
initalized which should keep the emulation work.

The real solution to this problem is to implement a keyboard mux which
binds all keyboards to the console by default.  I'm working on this, but
there is not much chance this will make it in to 5.3 at this point.

-- Brooks