5.3: /stand/ versus /rescue/ ?

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 5 09:52:29 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 11:38 am, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:

> > Tim> /stand is largely defunct.  It is, I believe, still used to
> > Tim> bootstrap the CD-ROM installation, but has no particular purpose
> > Tim> after that point.
> >
> > I was always confused with sysinstall being in /stand.  I always
> > understood /stand as executables that ran from the loader.  The
> > "standalone environment."
> >
> > Dave.
>
> Right now, /stand is installed from sysinstall, and used, at last,
> from /etc/rc.d/initdiskless.

/stand is installed as part of the installation process.  Basically,
sysinstall starts off by letting you partition your disks.  Once that is
done, it mounts everything under /mnt, then copies the /stand off of the
mfsroot to /mnt/stand and finally chroots into mnt for the rest of the
install.  It copies /stand so that it can still get to the utilities
in /stand that it needs while it does the actual install.