SiS 962/963 support?

Søren Schmidt sos at DeepCore.dk
Mon Oct 4 23:36:58 PDT 2004

Rick Morris wrote:
> None of the betas for 5.3 will boot on my systems with the SiS 962 IDE
> controllers. I notice that they are not listed in the Handbook under
> supported
> hardware. Can anyone tell me whether there are plans to support this
> chipset, and if so, what the status is? I've found various posts in
> -bugs and other lists mentioning this chipset in the past, but there
> seems to be no discussion of this for 5.x. All of our deployed units
> with 5.2.1 boot fine with this chipset, but 5.3 freezes on the ado: and
> acdo: messages in boot. Even CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't work, requiring a
> manual shutdown.
>
> If anyone has worked on this problem, my company would be very
> interested in talking with you.

The SiS southbridges should be supported, at least the two systems I
have here in the lab works just dandy.
Could you mail me the output of a verbose boot from 5.2.1 and as far as
it gets on 5.3beta7 please ?

Have you tried disabling ACPI and/or APIC ? Both the SiS systems here
have had very diffrent success with both of those during times...

--

-Søren