if_tun failed to register

Antoine Jacoutot ajacoutot at lphp.org
Tue Nov 4 05:17:47 PST 2003

Max Laier wrote:
 > AJ> ------------------------------------------------
 > AJ> module_register: module if_tun already exists!
 > AJ> Module if_tun failed to register: 17
 > AJ> can't re-use a leaf (if_tun_debug)!
 > AJ> ------------------------------------------------
 >
> AJ> Is there a kernel option I missed ? I already have "device tun" in
> AJ> my kernel config file.
>
> This might be due to missing/incomplete "mergemaster" after
> installworld? Try to remove your rc.d related stuff from etc before
> running "mergemaster -i". The scripts should not try to "kldload
> if_tun" if you allready have tun interfaces (built in).

Well, it did not change anything :(
What is really strange is that "tun" is compiled in the kernel, but the
module is started anyway ???

$ kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
  1    6 0xc0400000 35aef8   kernel
  2    1 0xc075b000 4cd10    acpi.ko
  3    1 0xc463d000 4000     logo_saver.ko
  4    1 0xc46e2000 4000     if_tun.ko

Here is a part of my kernel configuration:

device miibus
device fxp
device random
device loop