problems with sysinstall

David Taylor davidt at yadt.co.uk
Sat Nov 1 05:35:38 PST 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Doug White wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Sergey Matveychuk wrote:
>> Doug White wrote:
>>> This is normal and for your protection. you can't edit the disk you're
>>> running off of.  If you are running off of ad1, make sure 1) you're root
>>> when you run sysinstall and b) you aren't mounting any filesystems from
>>> ad0.
>>
>> Well, I understand it for slices. But why I can't create new partition
>> in exist slice and newfs it? It was OK in -stable.
>
> yes, this is a change to -current. It is for your own safety.

My own safety?  I can down the system in a million ways, yet can't do
what I actually want?  A major reason I got fed up with Windows (other
than it not working right) was it's insistance of knowing what was best
for me.  I hope FreeBSD doesn't fall down the same path.

Or at least have a kernel option FOOT_SHOOTING, or something, that will
disable all the helpful code protection people from themselves.

--
David Taylor
davidt at yadt.co.uk
"The future just ain't what it used to be"