OT:escaping X barfings

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sun Jul 20 08:25:55 PDT 2003

root at bofh.bg wrote:
> Hello all!
> CAn you tell me how a procedure how to patch X and kernel
> to avoid X barfings from securelevel? My release is a FreeBSD 5.1.

You might want to replace "barfing" with an actual description of the problem.

> I looked for patches, unfortunately they're more than a year old.Googled and
> searched on MARC - nothing new under the sun. Therefore I suppose all works ok
> in -CURRENT.I'm thinking of:
>                  1) CVSup src and ports to "."

I wouldn't cvsup src to . unless you plan on developing.

>                  2) adding `options APERTURE` to my kernel
>                  3) make buildkernel && make install kernel && make buildworld
>                  4) reboot and face the music

Do as you feel you must, but I installed 5.1-RELEASE and X from ports and it's
running fine.  Are you starting from a terminal with 'startx' or do you start
xdm at boot?  If you use startx, I believe you need to install x-wrapper to get
around permission issues.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies