ufs2 snapshots in 5.1 still broken

Lukas Ertl l.ertl at univie.ac.at
Sat Jul 19 14:22:43 PDT 2003

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, [iso-8859-2] Branko F. Gra?nar wrote:

> This only accours if there is alot (several 100 thousand) of small files
> on a filesystem.
>
> During snapshot creation all userland I/O hangs until snapshot is made.
> Machine doesn't respond even on ping!. After snapshot is created,
> everything works okay. If you want to remove that snapshot file the same
> scenario is repeated. Ideas, suggestions?

I'm not use what you mean. The suspension of I/O during creation of a
snapshot is the intended behaviour, but it doesn't take long. For example,
/usr here has about 185000 files:

# time mksnap_ffs /usr /usr/snapshot

real    0m3.059s
user    0m0.001s
sys     0m0.143s

regards,
le

Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl at univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)       Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universität Wien                   http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/