Showstoppers for RPI3

Klaus Küchemann maciphone2 at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 26 19:18:23 UTC 2020

> Am 26.02.2020 um 19:46 schrieb bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net>:
>
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 07:02:03PM +0100, Klaus K??chemann wrote:
>>
>> Don`t judge yourself so hard to non-skilled,
>
> I've worked with skilled programmers, very clearly I'm not good at
> what's required.
>
> My question about compilers was both sincere (new hardware needs new machine
> language, which means new assembler, which means new code generator backend)
> and a way to open the discussion to other constraints on ARM development for
> FreeBSD.
Aarch64-compiler has changed to clang ( I guess some weeks ago or  so),
clang is not the bottleneck and not a very new tool which  nobody knows, for BSD sometimes the bottleneck  is manpower .. manpower doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to study all assembler-code until you understand every line(while some devs do understand that all:-)
The (BSD-)world does not have to be reinvented for aarch64 either,
 Sometimes it can help to adopt code which is available elsewhere …
All matters is the time you can invest, not only the skills you have

> There are allusions to lack of documentation,
The code is the documentation but you are right:
We need to make more information more public in human readable Textform..

> no doubt true, and
> vague references to politics, possibly true. There are also institutional
> interests at stake. One or two big donors have vast influence. I'm trying
> to elicit an estimate of how many small donors it takes to influence FreeBSD.

Please give  a little onliner-code-donation or so for the beginning.. ;-)

> It's worth noting that a very natural Tier-1 platform, Cavium Thunder X, does
> not seem to be anywhere in sight. I really thought it would emerge first, long
> before any of the SBC platforms got serious traction. I have no use for Cavium,
> but expected it to have ample support among big FreeBSD users. Not so…..
Right, public users don’t own that machines ..

> I switched to Raspberry Pi because it was a cheap, relatively easy way to
> replace old i386 hardware. It seemed an obvious choice in 2016. Maybe
> not now. The problem is then to identify a replacement. There are more and
> more choices coming to market, I'm trying to figure out what the community
> (developers and users) will settle on. So far there's no obvious concensus.
Everything good you do , FreeBSD is running on my Pi3 since days without switching it off as something like a "UART-gateway „
A good replacement could be to take a look @ Rockchip-gadgets, I will provide support for one more device the next days(I hope at least, lol).. but a better way is to say(like Ian):
I will never support it (and then support it nevertheless:-) ,
We have to win some time .. if writing emails the whole day we forget to code;-) Ha Ha

> Thanks for reading!
> bob prohaska

entirely on my part
Regards