Showstoppers for RPI3

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd-rwg at gndrsh.dnsmgr.net
Wed Feb 26 21:30:07 UTC 2020

> On Wed, 2020-02-26 at 08:45 -0800, bob prohaska wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 08:33:24AM -0700, Ian Lepore wrote:
> > >
> > > If you want to run freebsd on arm hardware, try using hardware that
> > > people are actually working to support.  If you must use crappy rpi
> > > hardware, either run linux on it, or consider paying someone to do
> > > the
> > > freebsd support you need.
> >
> > How much money is involved? Personally I can't afford to hire
> > somebody,
> > but earmarked contributiions to the FreeBSD Foundation are feasible.
> >
> > What would be required to attract useful attention?
> >
> > Thanks for writing!
> >
> > bob prohaska
>
> I don't think earmarked contributions are allowed, at least not
> something earmarked to a specific task or piece of work (as opposed to
> something generic like "use these funds for advocacy").  If they were
> allowed, a company could effectively use an earmarked contribution as a
> way of hiring a contractor to write code, while writing off the money
> paid to her as a charitable contribution to the foundation.

The US laws are such that the way you do this is you create
a project page "aarch64 on RPI*'s", and put a donate here
button to help fund THIS project.

Totally legal.  It is also legal for a non-profit to go to a company
and say "we are looking for funds to do A, would you be interested
in making a contribution to help us to A?"

Whats NOT legal is a company going to a 501(c)3 and saying:  "I'll give you $X
if you go do Y".

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org