Raspberry Pi SPI device example?

Milan Obuch freebsd-arm at dino.sk
Thu Feb 19 06:53:46 UTC 2015

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 23:49:33 -0200
Luiz Otavio O Souza <lists.br at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 February 2015 at 06:34, Milan Obuch wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have little display attached to my raspberry, description found at
> > https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pitft-28-inch-resistive-touchscreen-display-raspberry-pi
> >
> > It uses SPI interface for bouth display module and touch panel
> > overlay, so my question is - do we have any example how a SPI
> > connected device could be used? This module uses ILI9341 as TFT
> > driver/controller and STMPE610 for touch screen interface, both in
> > SPI mode. As datasheets are available on internet, it should not be
> > too hard to write a driver, but first some example would be great...
> >
> > Do we have anything like this? I could try to look how it is done on
> > raspbian linux, but as internally this is totally different, I would
> > like to avoid this, not to mention I have a hard time understand
> > linux kernel sources...
> >
> > Regards,
> > Milan
>
> Hi Milan,
>
> ATM we only support SPI devices as kernel drivers (no userland
> support yet).
>
> I guess you could add a vt(4) driver for ILI9341.
>
> The SPI drivers currently in tree are:
>
> - sys/arm/lpc/ssd1289.c
> - sys/arm/samsung/exynos/chrome_ec_spi.c
> - sys/dev/flash/mx25l.c
> - sys/dev/flash/at45d.c
> - sys/mips/atheros/pcf2123_rtc.c
>
> Luiz

Hello,

thanks, Luiz, that's really helpfull. I will check how thing are done
here and try to write something. Not sure how vt driver should look
like, but I am not that far yet, first a working setup for hardware
register read/write needs to be done. ILI9341 datasheet is 240 pages
(pdf file) and STMPE610 one is 56 pages, so it takes some time to go
through get anything working done.

Anyway, thanks for hints, really appreciated.

Regards,
Milan