RFC: "Crochet" build tool

Werner Thie werner at thieprojects.ch
Tue Mar 26 17:24:48 UTC 2013

On 3/26/13 5:51 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> .. these are orthogonal problems.
>
> NanoBSD being too hard or not.
>
> Whether there's a shared cross-platform image builder in -HEAD. Or
> heck, even just a unified one across ppc, mips, i386/amd64, arm.
>
> But these are _two separate problems_. They don't go hand-in-hand.
> They are only going hand-in-hand right now because they're too
> confusing for people. But you can fix or replace nanobsd in the base
> so it can build cross-build targets.
>
> My stuff is separate from -HEAD primarily because I haven't yet sat
> down and finished making it build a UFS image without needing root
> privileges. Once that's done, I'm going to integrate it into either
> nanobsd or tinybsd.

What's the rationale behind having not one, but TWO xxxBSD?

Do we start third one like the usual proliferation in OpenSource
sometimes dubbed progress?

I always prefer learning about "I don't understand it, so let's roll my
own", but the whole xxxBSD learning process was simply too much for me,
having ARM boards sitting on my desk for weeks, instead of being able to
simply build an image.

The question must be reformulated:

Is nanoBSD or tinyBSD fit as basis for a cross platform effort?

I assume the one doing it, also does the chosing, but I'm in no position
to do so with my failed effort to get a grip on nanoBSD.

Werner