RFC: "Crochet" build tool

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Tue Mar 26 16:51:27 UTC 2013

.. these are orthogonal problems.

NanoBSD being too hard or not.

Whether there's a shared cross-platform image builder in -HEAD. Or
heck, even just a unified one across ppc, mips, i386/amd64, arm.

But these are _two separate problems_. They don't go hand-in-hand.
They are only going hand-in-hand right now because they're too
confusing for people. But you can fix or replace nanobsd in the base
so it can build cross-build targets.

My stuff is separate from -HEAD primarily because I haven't yet sat
down and finished making it build a UFS image without needing root
privileges. Once that's done, I'm going to integrate it into either
nanobsd or tinybsd.

I'd like to see the ARM side of things do the same, at least for
building the OS image.

Come on people, step up the game.

Adrian