Raspberry Pi EABI test image

Andrew Turner andrew at fubar.geek.nz
Mon Dec 24 00:55:34 UTC 2012

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 19:05:48 -0500
George Mitchell <george+freebsd at m5p.com> wrote:

> On 12/23/12 16:38, Andrew Turner wrote:
> > I have made a test image built from the EABI branch for the
> > Raspberry Pi. It is available from:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~andrew/rpi/rpi-eabi-r244581.img.xz
> >
> > I would appreciate it if people with a Raspberry Pi could test this
> > as I am likely to start merging EABI support into head early next
> > year. As far as I can tell everything should work with the
> > exception of gdb which is known to be broken.
> >
> > To load the image you need to uncompress the file and run a command
> > similar to:
> > dd if=rpi-eabi-r244581.img of=/dev/mmcsd0
> >
> > Changing the of= device as required for your system. The SD card
> > should boot into FreeBSD with the console on the HDMI port and a
> > login prompt on the UART.
> >
> > Andrew
> >

> Your image works for me.  I don't have an appropriate serial cable, so
> I connected a USB keyboard.
>
> There are some rough edges, but they aren't new with this image:
>
> Every so often, a key release event from the USB keyboard is dropped
> and I get a sequence of repeated characters until I type something
> else.  I think an occasional key press is dropped as well, but I'm
> such a bad typist that I'm not sure.
This is a know issue with the usb driver. I don't know if there is a
fix or workaround for it.

> Although rc.conf says ue0_config="DHCP"', dhclient doesn't run.  I can
> run it manually, and then everything network-related works.
I've seen this before with other RPi images.

> I NFS-mounted a /usr/ports tree and installed portmaster.  When I
> tried "portmaster -BDg sysutils/LPRng", it died trying to run
> something called autom4te while working on libtool.
This may or may not be an EABI issue, are you able to send through a
log of the build? I can also see if I can reproduce it here.

> What would we need to do to get a driver for the pulse-width
> modulation audio port?
>
> The lack of a visible cursor on the screen is a major annoyance.
It sounds like this is a problem with the RPi driver.

Andrew