Building ARM ports (was Re: Globalscale Dreamplug and 8.3 RELEASE)

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Wed Aug 15 00:35:52 UTC 2012

Guys/girls/etc,

OpenWRT manages it. They started from the ground up with having to cross-build.

Just because the problem is hard to tackle doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

There's like a dozen half-done attempts at this. I realise you can't
address _all_ the ports at once, but surely starting with a small
subset and working outward is doable.

I'll put up a bounty for anyone who actually comes up with a basic
framework for supporting cross-building ports, documents how it
does/doesn't work (eg if things like build vs run dependencies) and
has a basic design for how to slowly fix ports to support it.

Adrian